We recently published an update on South East Asia Airlines and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on them. We also shared a post looking at the latest flight price trends to the region (mostly downwards).
In this post we will look at some of the top routes in South East Asia and the effects that COVID-19 has had on airlines and airports in South East Asia.
We have used data published by OAG in their Busiest Routes 2020 Report (which used 2019 data as a baseline for comparison for the future) and their regular Capacity and Frequency Report.
OAG have calculated the route distance by the number of nautical miles.
|1||Newark to Singapore||8,277|
|5||Los Angeles to Singapore||7,611|
|7||New York JFK to Manila||7,392|
|9||San Francisco to Singapore||7,330|
The longest route between Europe and South East Asia was London Heathrow to Singapore at 5,873 nautical miles.
OAG have used the number of scheduled seats as the basis for this ranking.
With 6 of the world’s 10 busiest International routes featuring South East Asia countries, it is clear how busy the area is.
Singapore features three times and Bangkok, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur are all twice in the list.
|2||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||5,560,894|
|3||Jakarta to Singapore||5,480,000|
|4||Bangkok to Hong Kong||4,826,872|
|7||Hong Kong to Manila||3,852,991|
|9||Bangkok to Singapore||3,832,494|
|10||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||3,798,559|
Domestically the only route to feature in the world top ten list was Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, in fourth pace with 10,253,530 scheduled seats.
The impact of COVID-19 has been massive on flying around the world, and South East Asia has not escaped that impact.
Singapore Changi are operating at 91.7% lower capacity than in September 2019. Capacity is almost 20% in less in September than the were last month, showing that recovery is still a long way away.
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi are operating at just 25% of the capacity in September 2019 although capacity has increased by almost 17% since last month.
As a whole South East Asia has 57.6% less scheduled seats available, 17,757,815, than in September 2019.
Most Competitive Routes
South East Asia is an incredibly popular destination which can be seen by the number of entries for the region in the most competitive routes list.
|1||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||9|
|4||Da Nang to Seoul||9|
|7||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||8|
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Vietnam Planning Travel CorridorsEarlier this week the first domestic Malaysian tourists arrived in Langkawi asContinue reading “Vietnam Planning Travel Corridors”
- Malaysia Thailand And Vietnam Get New UNESCO Biosphere ReservesThe United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has announced aContinue reading “Malaysia Thailand And Vietnam Get New UNESCO Biosphere Reserves”
- First Tourists Land In Langkawi Malaysia[Reuters] The first plane carrying tourists in more than four months touchedContinue reading “First Tourists Land In Langkawi Malaysia”
- Bangkok Tourism Restart DelayThe chaotic restart of tourism in Thailand continues as the on-off reopeningContinue reading “Bangkok Tourism Restart Delay”
- Top Things To Do In The Andaman And Nicobar IslandsIn this guest post from Unnati Khandelwal from Banbanjara we look atContinue reading “Top Things To Do In The Andaman And Nicobar Islands”
- Langkawi Starts Tourism Reopening[Reuters] Businesses at Malaysia’s prime holiday destination are gearing up to welcomeContinue reading “Langkawi Starts Tourism Reopening”