We recently published an update on South East Asia Airlines and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on them. We also shared a post looking at the latest flight price trends to the region (mostly downwards).
In this post we will look at some of the top routes in South East Asia and the effects that COVID-19 has had on airlines and airports in South East Asia.
We have used data published by OAG in their Busiest Routes 2020 Report (which used 2019 data as a baseline for comparison for the future) and their regular Capacity and Frequency Report.
OAG have calculated the route distance by the number of nautical miles.
|1||Newark to Singapore||8,277|
|5||Los Angeles to Singapore||7,611|
|7||New York JFK to Manila||7,392|
|9||San Francisco to Singapore||7,330|
The longest route between Europe and South East Asia was London Heathrow to Singapore at 5,873 nautical miles.
OAG have used the number of scheduled seats as the basis for this ranking.
With 6 of the world’s 10 busiest International routes featuring South East Asia countries, it is clear how busy the area is.
Singapore features three times and Bangkok, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur are all twice in the list.
|2||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||5,560,894|
|3||Jakarta to Singapore||5,480,000|
|4||Bangkok to Hong Kong||4,826,872|
|7||Hong Kong to Manila||3,852,991|
|9||Bangkok to Singapore||3,832,494|
|10||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||3,798,559|
Domestically the only route to feature in the world top ten list was Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, in fourth pace with 10,253,530 scheduled seats.
The impact of COVID-19 has been massive on flying around the world, and South East Asia has not escaped that impact.
Singapore Changi are operating at 91.7% lower capacity than in September 2019. Capacity is almost 20% in less in September than the were last month, showing that recovery is still a long way away.
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi are operating at just 25% of the capacity in September 2019 although capacity has increased by almost 17% since last month.
As a whole South East Asia has 57.6% less scheduled seats available, 17,757,815, than in September 2019.
Most Competitive Routes
South East Asia is an incredibly popular destination which can be seen by the number of entries for the region in the most competitive routes list.
|1||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||9|
|4||Da Nang to Seoul||9|
|7||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||8|
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- WTTC Publishes Health and Safety Guidelines For The Travel and Tourism SectorThe World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) has today published major guidelinesContinue reading “WTTC Publishes Health and Safety Guidelines For The Travel and Tourism Sector”
- Singapore Introduces Chinese New Year RestrictionsThe Singapore government has announced measures for the Chinese New Year periodContinue reading “Singapore Introduces Chinese New Year Restrictions”
- IATA Calls For European Vaccination CertificateThe International Air Transport Association (IATA) has called for the European UnionContinue reading “IATA Calls For European Vaccination Certificate”
- Film Locations in Southeast Asia Part 5In this, the fifth part in our series of film locations, weContinue reading “Film Locations in Southeast Asia Part 5”
- Tourism Industry Will Closely Monitor Seychelles Quarantine DecisionThe Seychelles News Agency has reported that travellers who have received bothContinue reading “Tourism Industry Will Closely Monitor Seychelles Quarantine Decision”
- Thailand Covid Control Measures To Remain Until End Of MonthThe Bangkok Post is this morning reporting that the current Covid-19 controlContinue reading “Thailand Covid Control Measures To Remain Until End Of Month”