We recently published an update on South East Asia Airlines and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on them. We also shared a post looking at the latest flight price trends to the region (mostly downwards).
In this post we will look at some of the top routes in South East Asia and the effects that COVID-19 has had on airlines and airports in South East Asia.
We have used data published by OAG in their Busiest Routes 2020 Report (which used 2019 data as a baseline for comparison for the future) and their regular Capacity and Frequency Report.
OAG have calculated the route distance by the number of nautical miles.
|1||Newark to Singapore||8,277|
|5||Los Angeles to Singapore||7,611|
|7||New York JFK to Manila||7,392|
|9||San Francisco to Singapore||7,330|
The longest route between Europe and South East Asia was London Heathrow to Singapore at 5,873 nautical miles.
OAG have used the number of scheduled seats as the basis for this ranking.
With 6 of the world’s 10 busiest International routes featuring South East Asia countries, it is clear how busy the area is.
Singapore features three times and Bangkok, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur are all twice in the list.
|2||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||5,560,894|
|3||Jakarta to Singapore||5,480,000|
|4||Bangkok to Hong Kong||4,826,872|
|7||Hong Kong to Manila||3,852,991|
|9||Bangkok to Singapore||3,832,494|
|10||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||3,798,559|
Domestically the only route to feature in the world top ten list was Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, in fourth pace with 10,253,530 scheduled seats.
The impact of COVID-19 has been massive on flying around the world, and South East Asia has not escaped that impact.
Singapore Changi are operating at 91.7% lower capacity than in September 2019. Capacity is almost 20% in less in September than the were last month, showing that recovery is still a long way away.
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi are operating at just 25% of the capacity in September 2019 although capacity has increased by almost 17% since last month.
As a whole South East Asia has 57.6% less scheduled seats available, 17,757,815, than in September 2019.
Most Competitive Routes
South East Asia is an incredibly popular destination which can be seen by the number of entries for the region in the most competitive routes list.
|1||Kuala Lumpur to Singapore||9|
|4||Da Nang to Seoul||9|
|7||Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur||8|
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Earth Day Southeast AsiaPhilippines credit EU Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Today is Earth DayContinue reading “Earth Day Southeast Asia”
- Earth Day Philippines Face Mask PollutionCredit Ani Kolleshi on Unsplash Face masks are essential in helping toContinue reading “Earth Day Philippines Face Mask Pollution”
- Earth Day Thailand Solar FarmSirindhorn Dam project credit Electricity Generation Authority of Thailand Thailand is closeContinue reading “Earth Day Thailand Solar Farm”
- Vietnam Vaccine Passport Plans Under FireLast week we reported that Quang Nam Province had submitted proposals toContinue reading “Vietnam Vaccine Passport Plans Under Fire”
- Discover Malaysia With New Online Travel GuidesLankawi, Malaysia credit Jay Tun Tourism Malaysia has launched a series ofContinue reading “Discover Malaysia With New Online Travel Guides”
- New Restrictions in PhuketPhuket, Thailand credit Arkady Lukashov on Unsplash Visitors to Phuket from 18Continue reading “New Restrictions in Phuket”