The airline industry has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Southeast Asia airline market has been particularly hit hard.
We have already published more information on airlines in the region in our article on Southeast Asia Airlines.
Cathay Pacific have announced the closure of its regional carrier Cathay Dragon and more than 8,000 job losses as COVID continues to hit the airline.
Cathay Dragon mainly operated routes throughout China and Southeast Asia.
Cathay Dragon is hoping to continue to operate most Cathay Dragon routes under either its own brand or that of its budget carrier, HK Express. Cathay is however only expecting to operate 50% of its normal capacity during 2021.
The airline has previously received a HK $39 billion (approx £3.9 billion, $5 billion) bailout from the Hong Kong Government in June and is reported to be losing HK$1.5 (approx £147 million, $193 million) billion to HK$2 billion (approx £196 million, $258 million) of cash a month. The restructuring of Cathay Pacific should help reduce this by HK$500 million (approx £49 million, $64.5 million) a month in 2021.
Cathay Pacific have also announced that they will postpone delivery of 21 Boeing 777-9 jets on order.
Mayalysia Airlines had been struggling prior to COVID-19 with many of its troubles dating back to the disappearance of flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on 8 March 2014 and Flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur that was shot down over Ukraine on 17 July 2014.
The Malaysian government had injected significant funds into the airline and are now reported to be unwilling to invest further.
Sovereign Wealth Fund, the parent company are negotiating with creditors and lessors but talks are reported to be taking longer than planned.
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in ThailandWhale Shark. Credit TANAKA Juuyoh on flickr. Thailand is a stunning location for scuba diving with a number of world class dive sitesContinue reading “Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in Thailand”
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as they attempt to fight offContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to become a “spearhead tourism city”Continue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have been registered for the island’sContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling for the reopening of bordersContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”
- Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated TouristsLangkawi, Malaysia. Credit Jalan Pantai Tengah on Unsplash Tourism and hotel groups have reacted with dismay after Malaysia health director-general Dr Noor HishamContinue reading “Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated Tourists”