Malindo Air (Malindo Airways Sdn Bhd) is a “hybrid” airline based in Selangor in Malaysia. The airline was reported to have 14 Boeing 737-800, 6 Boeing 737-900ER and 13 ATR 72-600 planes flying routes throughout Malaysia, Asia and Australia.
Downsizing and Job Cuts
Numerous sources are reporting that Malindo Air is to cut around 2,200 personnel from its 3,200 strong workforce from the end of November. The downsizing would also result in the airline operating just 5 Boeing 737’s and 6 ATR 72-600’s.
Earlier this year Malindo offered staff voluntary redundancy or long-term unpaid leave as the effects of the pandemic started to hit. By April it was reported that the airline had virtually stopped flying and up to 70% of staff were on long-term unpaid leave. It is reported that at its peak the airline had 5,200 staff.
The remaining 1,000 staff are reported to be required to undertake multiple roles and additional responsibilities.
On 10th October Malindo Air issued a warning that a website had been identified that was selling Malindo Air tickets illegally.
The warning stated that flymalindoairways.com were using a “dubious payment gateway that has not been registered with the airline’s system and all purchases made through the impersonator’s website is not captured in the airline’s database.”
They continued to advise the public to be wary of fake reservation platforms and that all bookings should be made through malindoair.com and registered travel agencies.
The website identified was “currently under maintenance” as of 22nd October.
Thanks to Donald Cassidy for letting us know about this issue. You can read more about his Malaysia adventure during lockdown here.
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Family Themed Waterpark And Resort To Open In Mui Ne VietnamCentara Mirage Resort Mui Ne, Vietnam. All pictures Centara Hotels and Resorts Thailand hotel operator, Centara Hotels & Resorts will open their second CentaraContinue reading “Family Themed Waterpark And Resort To Open In Mui Ne Vietnam”
- Bali Medical TourismSanur, Bali, Indonesia. Credit mutekk on Unsplash The Indonesian government hace announced plans to develop the Sanur region on Bali as a Special EconomicContinue reading “Bali Medical Tourism”
- Bangkok Sustainable Tourism DevelopmentBang Kachao, Bangkok, Thailand. Credit James Antrobus on flickr Bangkok has been working hard on increasing green spaces and sustainable tourism. A few weeksContinue reading “Bangkok Sustainable Tourism Development”
- Thailand Look To Relax Quarantine Amid Push For Vaccine PassportThe Thai tourism minister has confirmed today that he will propose a plan to enable foreign tourists to quarantine in tourist areas in aContinue reading “Thailand Look To Relax Quarantine Amid Push For Vaccine Passport”
- Green Schemes For A Sustainable SingaporeHawker Centre Singapore. Credit Holiday Point on flickr Singapore has announced a number of new schemes designed to improve the sustainability of Singapore inContinue reading “Green Schemes For A Sustainable Singapore”
- Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in ThailandWhale Shark. Credit TANAKA Juuyoh on flickr. Thailand is a stunning location for scuba diving with a number of world class dive sites suitableContinue reading “Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in Thailand”