Singapore and Germany announced on 23rd October that a Reciprocal Green Lane (RGL) scheme had been agreed between the two countries.
The RGL will enable essential travel for business or official purposes, via direct flights between both countries. The start date and details of the scheme have not yet been announced.
Singapore already has RGL arrangements in place with Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Japan and Malaysia and requires direct travel to the destination country, a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure, and another test on arrival together with isolation while waiting for results of the test.
Germany has so far recorded 437,866 cases of COVID-19 and 10,138 deaths. Numbers of new cases have dropped however and the latest daily figures showed only 229 new cases. Singapore has recorded 57,973 cases of COVID with just 3 new cases in the last 24 hours.
Travel from Singapore to Germany
Germany have also announced that Singapore residents will be able to enter Germany for short-term visits from Tuesday 28th October without the need for quarantine. Singapore however have not yet lifted restrictions on visitors from Germany, so this does not mean the start of tourism between the two countries.
Singapore Travel Corridors
Singapore has lifted travel restrictions to visitors from Australia (excluding Victoria State), Brunei Darussalam, New Zealand and Vietnam under the Air Travel Pass (ATP) scheme.
In a similar scenario to that with Germany, the arrangements have not yet been reciprocated which means that travellers going the other way would still be required to follow quarantine arrangements in that country, if they are allowed to travel at all.
A number of countries have lifted restrictions on visitors from Singapore including the United Kingdom and United States of America but Singapore have not reciprocated in kind.
Flyingdog Travel Comment
It does feel that we are moving closer to true leisure travel corridors however it does not look like it will happen any time soon or in great numbers.
In Thailand we have seen the first tourists for 6 months but in very small numbers, from restricted countries and with tight restrictions. It seems likely that Singapore along with much of the region may look to very different travel arrangements in the future rather than a simple travel corridor.
There is hope for leisure travel in 2021 but options for the remainder of 2020 are likely to be very limited or even non-existent.
We have covered current travel arrangements in Southeast Asia in more detail in our article Southeast Asia COVID Facts and Figures.
Header photo credit Jisun Han on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in ThailandWhale Shark. Credit TANAKA Juuyoh on flickr. Thailand is a stunning location for scuba diving with a number of worldContinue reading “Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in Thailand”
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as they attemptContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to become aContinue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have been registeredContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling for theContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”
- Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated TouristsLangkawi, Malaysia. Credit Jalan Pantai Tengah on Unsplash Tourism and hotel groups have reacted with dismay after Malaysia health director-generalContinue reading “Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated Tourists”