My favourite pictures #7
I love street food.
This picture sums up everything that is good about street food for me.
Wander around a street market in many places in Southeast Asia and you will see all kinds of street food vendors.
The whole experience adds up for me. Gazing at their menu trying to narrow the choices down. Deciding on what you are going to have and then watching them cook or serve someone else’s meal and second guessing yourself.
Finally making a decision and then adding a couple of sides, because the whole meal, for two people, is going to cost less than awful fast food back home – yes McDonald’s I am looking at you.
In some street markets seating is hit and miss or even non-existent. But not here. They take your order and then take you behind the stall to their “seating area”. Initially it looks like just a jumble of chairs and tables but every vendor has their own space and quickly move you if you are sitting on their chairs but have ordered elsewhere.
My chosen picture was taken in Ao Nang earlier this year. We must have visited this vendor 3 or 4 times in our stay and also visited a couple of their neighbours. I think in two weeks we only ate in proper restaurants 3 or 4 times.
This though was the prime seat. Directly above their stall so you could watch everything being prepared and cooked. Quickly getting more and more hungry as the smell of the food wafts upwards and you watch food being cooked.
Then you see a member of staff walking in your general direction, you try and figure out if they are carrying your food and then….. success.
Every meal was as good as the last and didn’t ever cost us more than £10 ($13) for two people, including a couple of beers and always included mains, sides and rice or noodles.
My Other Favourite Pictures
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Thailand Extends Emergency Decree As Prospects For 2021 FadeOn 26th November the Royal Thai Government approved an extension of the nationwide Emergency Decree until 15 January, 2021. The extension, the eighthContinue reading “Thailand Extends Emergency Decree As Prospects For 2021 Fade”
- COVID in Southeast Asia the Facts and FiguresThe COVID-19 pandemic has been less severe in many parts of Southeast Asia than was initially feared. Thailand and Vietnam were both seenContinue reading “COVID in Southeast Asia the Facts and Figures”
- Covid Passport to Help Reopen BordersThe International Air Transport Association (IATA) have announced that they are in the final stages of development of the IATA Travel Pass designedContinue reading “Covid Passport to Help Reopen Borders”
- Flyingdog Travel, Travel Mood Survey ResultsLast week we ran an online survey on the website and on our twitter account at @flyingdogtravel Here are the results. Has theContinue reading “Flyingdog Travel, Travel Mood Survey Results”
- Phone App To Track Tourists to ThailandThai PBS World are reporting that the Thai Government will introduce a new app called “Thailand Plus” will be a requirement for touristsContinue reading “Phone App To Track Tourists to Thailand”
- Major New International Airport Planned For VietnamThe first phase of a new international airport close to Ho Chi Minh City has been approved by the Vietnamese Government and workContinue reading “Major New International Airport Planned For Vietnam”