My favourite pictures #8
I have ridden in many a Songthaew over the years. We have hailed them from the side of the road, used impromptu “bus” stops and jumped onto waiting trucks.
I have always enjoyed travelling in the back of a Songthaew, with its open sides and back and the little sense of adventure as you hang on as the driver takes a tight turn and you start to slide on the bench seat.
However the one pictured almost felt like our own private transport.
We were staying at the Beyond Resort Khao Lak and asked at reception for transport, for the 6 of us, into the main part of town. They were, as always, very helpful and told us to wait outside reception at the required time the following day.
The next day we headed to meet the driver and there, waiting for us, with a broad smile on his face, was the driver and his Songthaew.
We told him where we wanted to go and jumped into the back. Off we went, enjoying the breeze as we motored along the road, admiring the scenery, the locals riding mopeds with children perched on the front or with goods piled high behind them.
Soon enough we pulled into the centre of La On and went to pay him. He smiled and asked if we needed a lift back. We said yes but not for a few hours. That was fine, we arranged a time and he waved our money away, “pay me on the way back” he said.
A few hours later we went back to meet him and again he was sat there waiting for us. By the time we had got back to the hotel we had decided to arrange our next trip with him before he left.
We used the same Songthaew and driver multiple times over the next week or so and loved every minute of it.
My Other Favourite Pictures
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Southeast Asia Twitter Week In Review 25th JulyThis week we have some incredible pictures and videos from throughout Southeast Asia, celebrating the landscapes, wildlife, monuments, beachesContinue reading “Southeast Asia Twitter Week In Review 25th July”
- Man With Covid Boards Flight Disguised As WifeA man in Indonesia disguised himself as his wife to board a domestic flight, despite having tested for Covid-19.Continue reading “Man With Covid Boards Flight Disguised As Wife”
- Phuket Sandbox Tourism Extension Given ApprovalThe Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has reported today that the Thailand Centre for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) hasContinue reading “Phuket Sandbox Tourism Extension Given Approval”
- Hua Hin Tourism Reopening DelayedEarlier this month Hua Hin in Thailand announced plans for a 1st October reopening for tourists called “Hua HinContinue reading “Hua Hin Tourism Reopening Delayed”
- Thai Airlines Under Threat As Domestic Flights CancelledIncreasing cases of Covid-19, especially in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, and a slow vaccination rate has led to CivilContinue reading “Thai Airlines Under Threat As Domestic Flights Cancelled”
- New Thailand Tourism Sandbox PlannedOn 1st July the Phuket Sandbox opened, allowing fully vaccinated travellers to visit the Thai island without the needContinue reading “New Thailand Tourism Sandbox Planned”