My favourite pictures #8
I have ridden in many a Songthaew over the years. We have hailed them from the side of the road, used impromptu “bus” stops and jumped onto waiting trucks.
I have always enjoyed travelling in the back of a Songthaew, with its open sides and back and the little sense of adventure as you hang on as the driver takes a tight turn and you start to slide on the bench seat.
However the one pictured almost felt like our own private transport.
We were staying at the Beyond Resort Khao Lak and asked at reception for transport, for the 6 of us, into the main part of town. They were, as always, very helpful and told us to wait outside reception at the required time the following day.
The next day we headed to meet the driver and there, waiting for us, with a broad smile on his face, was the driver and his Songthaew.
We told him where we wanted to go and jumped into the back. Off we went, enjoying the breeze as we motored along the road, admiring the scenery, the locals riding mopeds with children perched on the front or with goods piled high behind them.
Soon enough we pulled into the centre of La On and went to pay him. He smiled and asked if we needed a lift back. We said yes but not for a few hours. That was fine, we arranged a time and he waved our money away, “pay me on the way back” he said.
A few hours later we went back to meet him and again he was sat there waiting for us. By the time we had got back to the hotel we had decided to arrange our next trip with him before he left.
We used the same Songthaew and driver multiple times over the next week or so and loved every minute of it.
My Other Favourite Pictures
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Green Schemes For A Sustainable SingaporeHawker Centre Singapore. Credit Holiday Point on flickr Singapore has announced a number of new schemes designed to improveContinue reading “Green Schemes For A Sustainable Singapore”
- Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in ThailandWhale Shark. Credit TANAKA Juuyoh on flickr. Thailand is a stunning location for scuba diving with a number ofContinue reading “Top 10 Scuba Diving Locations in Thailand”
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as theyContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to becomeContinue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have beenContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling forContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”