My favourite pictures #8
I have ridden in many a Songthaew over the years. We have hailed them from the side of the road, used impromptu “bus” stops and jumped onto waiting trucks.
I have always enjoyed travelling in the back of a Songthaew, with its open sides and back and the little sense of adventure as you hang on as the driver takes a tight turn and you start to slide on the bench seat.
However the one pictured almost felt like our own private transport.
We were staying at the Beyond Resort Khao Lak and asked at reception for transport, for the 6 of us, into the main part of town. They were, as always, very helpful and told us to wait outside reception at the required time the following day.
The next day we headed to meet the driver and there, waiting for us, with a broad smile on his face, was the driver and his Songthaew.
We told him where we wanted to go and jumped into the back. Off we went, enjoying the breeze as we motored along the road, admiring the scenery, the locals riding mopeds with children perched on the front or with goods piled high behind them.
Soon enough we pulled into the centre of La On and went to pay him. He smiled and asked if we needed a lift back. We said yes but not for a few hours. That was fine, we arranged a time and he waved our money away, “pay me on the way back” he said.
A few hours later we went back to meet him and again he was sat there waiting for us. By the time we had got back to the hotel we had decided to arrange our next trip with him before he left.
We used the same Songthaew and driver multiple times over the next week or so and loved every minute of it.
My Other Favourite Pictures
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Top 8 Romantic Spots In The PhilippinesThe Philippines is the perfect place to escape from the hustle and bustle and connect with each other for aContinue reading “Top 8 Romantic Spots In The Philippines”
- Singapore Adds More Vaccinated Travel LanesTravellers from 6 more countries will be allowed to visit Singapore under the Vaccinated Travel Lanes (VTL) scheme fromContinue reading “Singapore Adds More Vaccinated Travel Lanes”
- Philippines Confirms Tourism Opening DateThe Philippines government has announced that it will reopen its borders to tourists from low-risk countries on a trialContinue reading “Philippines Confirms Tourism Opening Date”
- Breaking News – Thailand To End PCR Test On ArrivalThe Thai National Communicable Disease Committee (NCDC) has approved plans that will mean that travellers entering under the TestContinue reading “Breaking News – Thailand To End PCR Test On Arrival”
- Singapore Malaysia Land Border To Reopen[REUTERS] Singapore and Malaysia will next week launch a quarantine-free travel lane at their land border crossing, one ofContinue reading “Singapore Malaysia Land Border To Reopen”
- Myanmar To Welcome Back Foreign TouristsEarlier this month we reported on plans for Myanmar (previously known as Burma) to reopen some of its landContinue reading “Myanmar To Welcome Back Foreign Tourists”