Last week Malaysia Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced that 5 states and 3 federal territories would be placed under a Movement Control Order (MCO) until 26th January.
The following day a State of Emergency was declared in the country effective, potentially, until 1st August.
Today Malaysia’s Senior Minister (Security Cluster) and Defence Minister, Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that the MCO would be extended to all states, apart from Sarawak, from this Friday until 4th February.
“Following advice from the Health Ministry, we have decided to enforce MCO on these states until Feb 4.”
“The MCO standard operating procedures are the same as I have announced before. That means residents are not allowed out, except for two from one household for daily necessities, including emergency cases,”Ismail Sabri Yaakob, Malaysia Senior Minister (Security Cluster).
Meanwhile former Prime Minister Najib Razak has said that the country can no longer claim to have been successful in its fight against Covid-19.
Free Malaysia Today (FMT) reported today that in a Facebook post Razak said that Malaysia had the opportunity to manage the virus in October but did not impose strict enough sanctions.
missed the opportunity to better manage the third wave in October when Putrajaya refused to ban interstate travel and impose stricter measures.
“We can no longer claim that Malaysia is among the nations that are successful in containing Covid.”
“We need to learn from our mistakes and realise that stricter measures in the early stages could have prevented a calamity in the long run.”Najib Razak via FMT
Malaysia has so far recorded 165,371 cases of Covid-19, including a further 3,631 in the last 24 hours, and 619 deaths, including a further 14 recorded today.
Photo credit Redowana Rashid Hridy
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.