The Center for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) has confirmed that the plans can continue as more than 70% of the population of Koh samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao have now been inoculated.
The Samui Plus scheme will see fully vaccinated tourists welcomed back to the three islands although restrictions are more strict that in the Phuket Sandbox model. due to this just 1,000 foreign tourists are expected in the first 30 days.
On the day of arrival all travellers must take a Covid-19 test and remain in their hotel room until a negative result is received. Once they have passed that stage they can then:
- Day 1-3: Can leave the hotel room for designated areas in the hotel
- Day 4-7: Can travel within designated routes and on tour programmes on Koh Samui
- Day 8-14: Can travel within Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao
- Day 15: If the last test on Day 12-13 is negative, can go anywhere in Thailand.
Officials are still looking at ways of accounting for the PCR tests and a booking system for accommodation. Hotel bookings are more complicated than in Phuket as travellers must stay in alternative local quarantine accommodation for the 7 days before switching to hotels under the Thailand Safety and Health Administration (SHA Plus) standard on day 8.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is hoping to be able to combine trips allowing travellers to stay in Phuket for 7 days before transferring to Samui. Plans will depend on the success on the Phuket Sandbox and Samui Plus schemes.
Flights to Samui
Bangkok Airways will be operating three daily flights for international passengers via a sealed terminal at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport. They are also waiting for approval to operate direct flights from Singapore.
Initial flight timetables for Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) – Samui
- PG5125 departing Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 10:05 arriving at Samui airport at 11:35.
- PG5151 departing Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 14:35 arriving at Samui airport at 16:05.
- PG5171 departing Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 17:10 arriving at Samui airport at 18:40.
Samui – Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi)
- PG5126 departing Samui airport at 12:15 arriving in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 13:45.
- PG5152 departing Samui airport at 16:45, arriving in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 18:15.
- PG5172 departing Samui airport at 19:20, arriving in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) at 20:50.
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.