The largest offshore island in Bali accessible from Sanur or Padangbai by speedboat.
Generally visited for short trips rather than longer stays as the hotel infrastructure is much less developed than elsewhere.
Beach – Many people visit Nusa Penida just to see the wonderful, quiet beaches in the area.
Crystal Bay Beach is fringed by dense jungle, perfect for relaxing on the beach and swimming in the calm sea. Finish your day by taking in the incredible sunset here.
Kelingking Beach is not the easiest to get to and can be tricky, but if you make the trip you will find a secluded white sand beach with a beautiful turquoise sea. Also known as “T-Rex” beach due to its shape.
If you can face the 342 steps to get down to the beach, and get back up again, Suwehan Beach is worth the trip for wonderful sand and blue water which you may have to yourself. Check the tides first though and don’t forget to marvel in the views from the viewpoint.
Diamond Beach is reached by a series of stairs that have been carved into the rock face. By standards on the island it is a fairly easy trip although still not for the faint hearted.
Accommodation – There is a limited choice of accommodation on the island so check carefully before booking.
Nightlife – There is no real nightlife away from your accommodation here. Nusa Penida comes to life with the sun.
Food – Food choices tend to be basic and based around local food although there are a few beachfront restaurants offering a more diverse choice.
Things To Do
An excellent base for scuba diving and snorkelling with many dive sites in the local area.
Much of the local diving is for more experienced divers due to the strong currents and depths of the dives in the area.
Nusa Penida is also popular with people who want to explore the island and its jungles either on foot or by bike. Bird watches especially love the area. There are a number of viewpoints and waterfalls that are worth the journey.
There are a number of important temples on the island.
Where To Stay
4**** – Adiwana Warnakali Resort is just 20 metres from the beach and set on the cliff offering incredible views
3*** – Coco Resort Penida designed as a home away from home
Hotel Arsa Santhi Nusa Penida set in a romantic setting with an ideal mix of value, comfort and convenience
Semabu Hills Hotel an excellent location looking out over the ocean
The Mesare Resort features 14 cottages in the hills of Nusa Penida
Guest Houses / Other – Kompyang Cottages comfortable individual cottages with access to a shared pool
Photo credit David Rodrigo on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as theyContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to becomeContinue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have beenContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling forContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”
- Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated TouristsLangkawi, Malaysia. Credit Jalan Pantai Tengah on Unsplash Tourism and hotel groups have reacted with dismay after Malaysia healthContinue reading “Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated Tourists”
- Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in ThailandPhuket, Thailand. Credit Akash Rai on Unsplash Thailand is looking at utilising a vaccine passport system to help theContinue reading “Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in Thailand”
- Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced RestrictionsSiquijor, Philippines. Credit Louis Martinez on Unsplash The Philippines Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious DiseasesContinue reading “Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced Restrictions”
- February HighlightsIt has been an incredibly busy month for Flyingdog Travel and international travel to Southeast Asia finally starting toContinue reading “February Highlights”
- Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination ListBali beach. Picture credit Timo Wagner on Unsplash. Bali has been voted the most Popular Destination in the WorldContinue reading “Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination List”