The largest offshore island in Bali accessible from Sanur or Padangbai by speedboat.
Generally visited for short trips rather than longer stays as the hotel infrastructure is much less developed than elsewhere.
Beach – Many people visit Nusa Penida just to see the wonderful, quiet beaches in the area.
Crystal Bay Beach is fringed by dense jungle, perfect for relaxing on the beach and swimming in the calm sea. Finish your day by taking in the incredible sunset here.
Kelingking Beach is not the easiest to get to and can be tricky, but if you make the trip you will find a secluded white sand beach with a beautiful turquoise sea. Also known as “T-Rex” beach due to its shape.
If you can face the 342 steps to get down to the beach, and get back up again, Suwehan Beach is worth the trip for wonderful sand and blue water which you may have to yourself. Check the tides first though and don’t forget to marvel in the views from the viewpoint.
Diamond Beach is reached by a series of stairs that have been carved into the rock face. By standards on the island it is a fairly easy trip although still not for the faint hearted.
Accommodation – There is a limited choice of accommodation on the island so check carefully before booking.
Nightlife – There is no real nightlife away from your accommodation here. Nusa Penida comes to life with the sun.
Food – Food choices tend to be basic and based around local food although there are a few beachfront restaurants offering a more diverse choice.
Things To Do
An excellent base for scuba diving and snorkelling with many dive sites in the local area.
Much of the local diving is for more experienced divers due to the strong currents and depths of the dives in the area.
Nusa Penida is also popular with people who want to explore the island and its jungles either on foot or by bike. Bird watches especially love the area. There are a number of viewpoints and waterfalls that are worth the journey.
There are a number of important temples on the island.
Where To Stay
4**** – Adiwana Warnakali Resort is just 20 metres from the beach and set on the cliff offering incredible views
3*** – Coco Resort Penida designed as a home away from home
Hotel Arsa Santhi Nusa Penida set in a romantic setting with an ideal mix of value, comfort and convenience
Semabu Hills Hotel an excellent location looking out over the ocean
The Mesare Resort features 14 cottages in the hills of Nusa Penida
Guest Houses / Other – Kompyang Cottages comfortable individual cottages with access to a shared pool
Photo credit David Rodrigo on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination ListBali beach. Picture credit Timo Wagner on Unsplash. Bali has been voted the most Popular Destination in the WorldContinue reading “Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination List”
- Southeast Asia Beaches In Tripadvisor Best of the Best List 2021Ngapali Beach, Myanmar. Picture credit Dumphasizer on flickr. Beaches in Myanmar, Vietnam, Thailand Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia have allContinue reading “Southeast Asia Beaches In Tripadvisor Best of the Best List 2021”
- Vietnam National Park In Tripadvisor Best of the Best List 2021Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. Picture credit Andrew Oliver on flickr. Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park has been votedContinue reading “Vietnam National Park In Tripadvisor Best of the Best List 2021”
- Can Thai Airways SurviveThai Airways plane. Photo credit tjdarmstadt on flickr. The day of reckoning is coming for Thai Airways. The 2ndContinue reading “Can Thai Airways Survive”
- $800 Million Malaysia Theme Park Opening in 2021Photo credits Genting SkyWorlds Attractions including Ice Age, Night at the Museum and Planet of the Apes will allContinue reading “$800 Million Malaysia Theme Park Opening in 2021”
- Philippines Covid-19 Testing For TravellersThe Philippines Department of Tourism have today said that it would leave the decision on whether to require travellerContinue reading “Philippines Covid-19 Testing For Travellers”
- Vietnam Flights Increase During Tet Despite Covid OutbreakCredit Markus Winkler on Unsplash Traditionally Tet is one of the busiest periods for air travel in Vietnam asContinue reading “Vietnam Flights Increase During Tet Despite Covid Outbreak”
- Thailand May End Quarantine For Vaccinated TravellersAccording to the Bangkok Post Thailand may be considering removing the mandatory 14-day quarantine for all foreign visitors forContinue reading “Thailand May End Quarantine For Vaccinated Travellers”
- Phuket Welcomes First Villa Quarantine TouristsThailand golf. Photo credit Martin Siegenthaler on flickr Phuket has welcomed the first 59 tourists under the Thai villaContinue reading “Phuket Welcomes First Villa Quarantine Tourists”