The closest of the Gili islands to Lombok, Gili Air is accessible from Bali or Senggigi on Longbok by speedboat.
An excellent balance between the lively Gili Trawangan and the much more sedate Gili Meno.
Beach – Hop on a bike, or walk if you are feeling more energetic, and you can easily circumnavigate the island and explore the excellent beaches.
The best beaches are in the Southwest of the island.
Accommodation – There are options for most budgets although the number of upmarket hotels has increased recently
Nightlife – Much quieter than Gili Trawangan but there is a good selection of bars including some iconic party nights and international DJ’s.
Food – There are a good selection of restaurants, many of these on the beachfront, offering a wide range of food with some exceptional seafood and BBQ.
Things To Do
A world class diving destination with options for beginners all the way through to the most experienced and adventurous divers.
The amount and diversity of marine life is truly incredible from the smallest creatures to spectacular and, much, larger fish.
For those who do not want to go diving then snorkeling is an excellent alternative with stunning marine life around the coral reef just a short swim from the shore. The current can be strong at times so beware.
Rent a bicycle and explore the island. Gili Air is just 5km around and with no motorised vehicles is perfectly safe to explore on two wheels. The ride is around 2 hours but may take you much longer as you stop at beaches, cafes or the odd bar on your trip.
Yoga is a popular activity on the island with a number of studios offering specialist activities.
Where To Stay
4**** – Slow Private Pool Villas consists of 10 contemporary luxury villas. Inspired by Balinese architecture
Turtle Beach Hotel boasts a sunrise view from the bar/restaurant right across the thatched-roof-environmentally-friendly bungalows.
3*** – KyGunAya Villa is an excellent option for couples and families
PinkCoco Gili Air bills itself as the sexiest hotel on the island with the best spot to enjoy the stunning sunset
Sunrise Resort sits on a wonderful white coral sand beach with some of the best snorkeling on the island just a short swim away
2** – Gili Matiki offers you a place of relaxation and chill out in the center of the island just 2 minutes from the beach
Segar Villages offers family friendly, value for money accommodation
Photo credit Federico Enni on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as theyContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to becomeContinue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have beenContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling forContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”
- Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated TouristsLangkawi, Malaysia. Credit Jalan Pantai Tengah on Unsplash Tourism and hotel groups have reacted with dismay after Malaysia healthContinue reading “Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated Tourists”
- Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in ThailandPhuket, Thailand. Credit Akash Rai on Unsplash Thailand is looking at utilising a vaccine passport system to help theContinue reading “Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in Thailand”
- Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced RestrictionsSiquijor, Philippines. Credit Louis Martinez on Unsplash The Philippines Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious DiseasesContinue reading “Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced Restrictions”
- February HighlightsIt has been an incredibly busy month for Flyingdog Travel and international travel to Southeast Asia finally starting toContinue reading “February Highlights”
- Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination ListBali beach. Picture credit Timo Wagner on Unsplash. Bali has been voted the most Popular Destination in the WorldContinue reading “Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination List”