The largest of the Gili islands off Lombok accessible from Bali or Senggigi on Longbok by speedboat.
The liveliest of the Gili Islands with more accommodation, dining and night-life options but still retaining a relaxed island paradise feel.
Beach – Hop on a bike, or walk if you are feeling more energetic, and you can easily circumnavigate the island and explore the excellent beaches.
The best beach is probably on the Southeast of the island but to be honest we are just being picky here.
Accommodation – There are options for most budgets although the number of upmarket hotels has increased recently
Nightlife – There are plenty of bars to keep your evenings occupied although they don’t ruin the relaxed atmosphere on the island. a number of bars open until the early hours and may even keep going until dawn on party nights.
Food – There are a good selection of restaurants, many of these on the beachfront, offering a wide range of food with some exceptional seafood and BBQ. Trawangan Night Market is an unmissable experience with the incredible range of food available include many local dishes.
Things To Do
A world class diving destination with options for beginners all the way through to the most experienced and adventurous divers.
The amount and diversity of marine life is truly incredible from the smallest creatures to spectacular and, much, larger fish.
For those who do not want to go diving then snorkeling is an excellent alternative with stunning marine life around the coral reef just a short swim from the shore. The current can be strong at times so beware.
Rent a bicycle and explore the island. Gili T is just 3km long by 2km wide and with no motorised vehicles is perfectly safe to explore on two wheels. The ride is just 2 hours but may take you much longer as you stop at beaches, cafes or the odd bar on your trip.
Head to the west of the island or up the hill for an incredible sunset. From the top of the island the view is incredible at most times of the day.
Horse riding is another excellent way to explore the island and ride along the beaches, there are horses suitable for all experience levels.
Yoga is a popular activity on the island with a number of studios offering specialist activities.
Where To Stay
5***** – Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort lies on the beachfront on the north of the island with lush coconut gardens surrounding the 94 rooms which take inspiration from traditional Lombok houses.
4**** – Aston Sunset Beach Resort is home to one the best beach locations on the island to enjoy the sunset
Luce d’Alma Resort & Spa is surrounded by coconut palms and all rooms have access to the pool from its terrace.
Pondok Santi Estate features 12 bungalows including some with their own private plunge pool.
3*** – Kaleydo Villas is a new boutique resort featuring wooden chalet villas including some with plunge pools or jacuzzi.
Natya Hotel Gili Trawangan is a family friendly hotel
PinkCoco Gili Trawangan sits on the west of the island and the beach benefits from the wonderful sunsets.
Scallywags Resort balances value for money with stylish comfort and is home to one of the top rated restaurants on the island
Wilson’s Retreat is a small boutique hotel set on a gorgeous strand of white sandy beach on the quiet north coast of Gili Trawangan.
2** – Gili Beach Bum Hotel is the islands only beach front hostel with secure dorm rooms
Gili Nyepi is a small family-run resort with just 4 private bungalows
Trawangan Oasis is set in a coconut grove and features 7 bungalows
Photo credit Federico Enni on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Vietnam Planning Travel CorridorsEarlier this week the first domestic Malaysian tourists arrived in Langkawi as it started to reopen for travel. NowContinue reading “Vietnam Planning Travel Corridors”
- Malaysia Thailand And Vietnam Get New UNESCO Biosphere ReservesThe United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has announced a number of new Biosphere Reserves in SoutheastContinue reading “Malaysia Thailand And Vietnam Get New UNESCO Biosphere Reserves”
- First Tourists Land In Langkawi Malaysia[Reuters] The first plane carrying tourists in more than four months touched down on the Malaysian island of LangkawiContinue reading “First Tourists Land In Langkawi Malaysia”
- Bangkok Tourism Restart DelayThe chaotic restart of tourism in Thailand continues as the on-off reopening of Bangkok is delayed. Main picture boatsContinue reading “Bangkok Tourism Restart Delay”
- Top Things To Do In The Andaman And Nicobar IslandsIn this guest post from Unnati Khandelwal from Banbanjara we look at the delights of the Andaman and NicobarContinue reading “Top Things To Do In The Andaman And Nicobar Islands”
- Langkawi Starts Tourism Reopening[Reuters] Businesses at Malaysia’s prime holiday destination are gearing up to welcome the return of tourists this week, asContinue reading “Langkawi Starts Tourism Reopening”
- Indonesia Aiming For Return Of International TouristsThe Indonesia Health Minister has said that the country aims to reopen to foreign visitors from November, once 70%Continue reading “Indonesia Aiming For Return Of International Tourists”
- Singapore Winners In Worlds Best Airline And Airports ListThe World’s Best Awards are compiled each year by Travel+Leisure who ask readers their travel experiences around the globeContinue reading “Singapore Winners In Worlds Best Airline And Airports List”
- Thailand To Simplify Tourism Entry DetailsSince Thailand reopened to foreign travellers with Phuket in July there has been confusion over the entry requirements forContinue reading “Thailand To Simplify Tourism Entry Details”