The largest of the Gili islands off Lombok accessible from Bali or Senggigi on Longbok by speedboat.
The liveliest of the Gili Islands with more accommodation, dining and night-life options but still retaining a relaxed island paradise feel.
Beach – Hop on a bike, or walk if you are feeling more energetic, and you can easily circumnavigate the island and explore the excellent beaches.
The best beach is probably on the Southeast of the island but to be honest we are just being picky here.
Accommodation – There are options for most budgets although the number of upmarket hotels has increased recently
Nightlife – There are plenty of bars to keep your evenings occupied although they don’t ruin the relaxed atmosphere on the island. a number of bars open until the early hours and may even keep going until dawn on party nights.
Food – There are a good selection of restaurants, many of these on the beachfront, offering a wide range of food with some exceptional seafood and BBQ. Trawangan Night Market is an unmissable experience with the incredible range of food available include many local dishes.
Things To Do
A world class diving destination with options for beginners all the way through to the most experienced and adventurous divers.
The amount and diversity of marine life is truly incredible from the smallest creatures to spectacular and, much, larger fish.
For those who do not want to go diving then snorkeling is an excellent alternative with stunning marine life around the coral reef just a short swim from the shore. The current can be strong at times so beware.
Rent a bicycle and explore the island. Gili T is just 3km long by 2km wide and with no motorised vehicles is perfectly safe to explore on two wheels. The ride is just 2 hours but may take you much longer as you stop at beaches, cafes or the odd bar on your trip.
Head to the west of the island or up the hill for an incredible sunset. From the top of the island the view is incredible at most times of the day.
Horse riding is another excellent way to explore the island and ride along the beaches, there are horses suitable for all experience levels.
Yoga is a popular activity on the island with a number of studios offering specialist activities.
Where To Stay
5***** – Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort lies on the beachfront on the north of the island with lush coconut gardens surrounding the 94 rooms which take inspiration from traditional Lombok houses.
4**** – Aston Sunset Beach Resort is home to one the best beach locations on the island to enjoy the sunset
Luce d’Alma Resort & Spa is surrounded by coconut palms and all rooms have access to the pool from its terrace.
Pondok Santi Estate features 12 bungalows including some with their own private plunge pool.
3*** – Kaleydo Villas is a new boutique resort featuring wooden chalet villas including some with plunge pools or jacuzzi.
Natya Hotel Gili Trawangan is a family friendly hotel
PinkCoco Gili Trawangan sits on the west of the island and the beach benefits from the wonderful sunsets.
Scallywags Resort balances value for money with stylish comfort and is home to one of the top rated restaurants on the island
Wilson’s Retreat is a small boutique hotel set on a gorgeous strand of white sandy beach on the quiet north coast of Gili Trawangan.
2** – Gili Beach Bum Hotel is the islands only beach front hostel with secure dorm rooms
Gili Nyepi is a small family-run resort with just 4 private bungalows
Trawangan Oasis is set in a coconut grove and features 7 bungalows
Photo credit Federico Enni on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and PlanesThai Airways tailfin. Credit TwentyFour Students on flickr Thai Airways have now submitted their Debt Rehabilitation Plan as theyContinue reading “Thai Airways To Slash Jobs and Planes”
- Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism HubPicture My Khe Beach, Da Nang, Vietnam. Leaders in Da Nang have published plans for the city to becomeContinue reading “Da Nang Plans To Be Vietnam Tourism Hub”
- Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen IslandBali Beach, Bali, Indonesia. Credit Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash More than 50,000 workers in the tourism industry have beenContinue reading “Bali To Vaccinate 50,000 Tourism Workers In Bid To Reopen Island”
- Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of BordersBangkok, Thailand. Credit Dan Freeman on Unsplash More than 20 international tourism companies have launched a campaign calling forContinue reading “Open Thailand Safely Campaign Calls For 1st July Opening Of Borders”
- Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated TouristsLangkawi, Malaysia. Credit Jalan Pantai Tengah on Unsplash Tourism and hotel groups have reacted with dismay after Malaysia healthContinue reading “Calls For Malaysia To Open To Vaccinated Tourists”
- Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in ThailandPhuket, Thailand. Credit Akash Rai on Unsplash Thailand is looking at utilising a vaccine passport system to help theContinue reading “Vaccine Passports To Kickstart Tourism in Thailand”
- Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced RestrictionsSiquijor, Philippines. Credit Louis Martinez on Unsplash The Philippines Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious DiseasesContinue reading “Philippines Encourages Increased Travel With Reduced Restrictions”
- February HighlightsIt has been an incredibly busy month for Flyingdog Travel and international travel to Southeast Asia finally starting toContinue reading “February Highlights”
- Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination ListBali beach. Picture credit Timo Wagner on Unsplash. Bali has been voted the most Popular Destination in the WorldContinue reading “Southeast Asia Destinations Top Worlds’ Most Popular Destination List”