The largest of the Gili islands off Lombok accessible from Bali or Senggigi on Longbok by speedboat.
The liveliest of the Gili Islands with more accommodation, dining and night-life options but still retaining a relaxed island paradise feel.
Beach – Hop on a bike, or walk if you are feeling more energetic, and you can easily circumnavigate the island and explore the excellent beaches.
The best beach is probably on the Southeast of the island but to be honest we are just being picky here.
Accommodation – There are options for most budgets although the number of upmarket hotels has increased recently
Nightlife – There are plenty of bars to keep your evenings occupied although they don’t ruin the relaxed atmosphere on the island. a number of bars open until the early hours and may even keep going until dawn on party nights.
Food – There are a good selection of restaurants, many of these on the beachfront, offering a wide range of food with some exceptional seafood and BBQ. Trawangan Night Market is an unmissable experience with the incredible range of food available include many local dishes.
Things To Do
A world class diving destination with options for beginners all the way through to the most experienced and adventurous divers.
The amount and diversity of marine life is truly incredible from the smallest creatures to spectacular and, much, larger fish.
For those who do not want to go diving then snorkeling is an excellent alternative with stunning marine life around the coral reef just a short swim from the shore. The current can be strong at times so beware.
Rent a bicycle and explore the island. Gili T is just 3km long by 2km wide and with no motorised vehicles is perfectly safe to explore on two wheels. The ride is just 2 hours but may take you much longer as you stop at beaches, cafes or the odd bar on your trip.
Head to the west of the island or up the hill for an incredible sunset. From the top of the island the view is incredible at most times of the day.
Horse riding is another excellent way to explore the island and ride along the beaches, there are horses suitable for all experience levels.
Yoga is a popular activity on the island with a number of studios offering specialist activities.
Where To Stay
5***** – Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort lies on the beachfront on the north of the island with lush coconut gardens surrounding the 94 rooms which take inspiration from traditional Lombok houses.
4**** – Aston Sunset Beach Resort is home to one the best beach locations on the island to enjoy the sunset
Luce d’Alma Resort & Spa is surrounded by coconut palms and all rooms have access to the pool from its terrace.
Pondok Santi Estate features 12 bungalows including some with their own private plunge pool.
3*** – Kaleydo Villas is a new boutique resort featuring wooden chalet villas including some with plunge pools or jacuzzi.
Natya Hotel Gili Trawangan is a family friendly hotel
PinkCoco Gili Trawangan sits on the west of the island and the beach benefits from the wonderful sunsets.
Scallywags Resort balances value for money with stylish comfort and is home to one of the top rated restaurants on the island
Wilson’s Retreat is a small boutique hotel set on a gorgeous strand of white sandy beach on the quiet north coast of Gili Trawangan.
2** – Gili Beach Bum Hotel is the islands only beach front hostel with secure dorm rooms
Gili Nyepi is a small family-run resort with just 4 private bungalows
Trawangan Oasis is set in a coconut grove and features 7 bungalows
Photo credit Federico Enni on Unsplash
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- Could Malaysia Open Its Borders SoonThere are rising hopes that Malaysia may start to welcome back tourists following comments from Prime Minister Ismail SabriContinue reading “Could Malaysia Open Its Borders Soon”
- Vietnam Artist Celebrates The Upcoming Year Of The Tiger[REUTERS] As Vietnam prepares to celebrate the Year of the Tiger next month, local artist Nguyen Tan Phat hasContinue reading “Vietnam Artist Celebrates The Upcoming Year Of The Tiger”
- Hopes Of Tourism Recovery In SingaporeIn 2019 around 19.1 million people visited Singapore, that dropped to just 330,000 in 2021, a record low, asContinue reading “Hopes Of Tourism Recovery In Singapore”
- Indonesia Opens Islands To Singapore VisitorsIndonesia today announced that visitors from Singapore will be allowed to travel to Batam and Bintan as part ofContinue reading “Indonesia Opens Islands To Singapore Visitors”
- Bali Releases Endangered Indonesian Turtles Into The Sea[REUTERS] A batch of 40 turtle hatchlings waddled towards the sea in Indonesia on Thursday as part of aContinue reading “Bali Releases Endangered Indonesian Turtles Into The Sea”
- Singapore VTL Daily Test ChangeConcerned about rising global cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19, Singapore imposed mandatory daily antigen rapid testing (ART)Continue reading “Singapore VTL Daily Test Change”
- Confirmed Changes To Thailand Test and Go ProgrammeFollowing the announcement of the relaunch of the Test & GO “quarantine-free” programme from 1st February we now haveContinue reading “Confirmed Changes To Thailand Test and Go Programme”
- Thailand Quarantine Free Travel To ReturnAuthorities in Thailand have today announced that the Test & GO scheme, suspended prior to Christmas, will be reinstatedContinue reading “Thailand Quarantine Free Travel To Return”
- Tourists Face Prosecution For Failing To Wear MasksAuthorities on the Thai tourist island of Phuket have warned that they will step up prosecutations against people failingContinue reading “Tourists Face Prosecution For Failing To Wear Masks”