Also known as Downtown, District 1 is the main commercial and financial centre of HCM.
Featuring French colonial architecture, tree-lined boulevards and tourist attractions including Notre Dame Cathedral, the Reunification (or Independence) Palace, Saigon Central Post Office, the Jade Emperor Pagoda to name just a few.
Nguyen Hue / Dong Khoi is the heart of District 1 and home to many luxury hotels.
Ben Thanh is famous for its market but is also the place to stay to be in the heart of the action in the city.
Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vien are the backpacker districts, both busy and full of life.
There are accommodation options available for the budget traveller and those seeking a luxury hotel.
Ideal for people who want to be in the close to the main sights, lots of restaurants and nightlife
If you love your street food you will LOVE District 4.
Distinctly Vietnamese and close to District 1.
Many of the options here are in apartments and home stays.
Four **** – Saigon Sirius
A more relaxed and laid back feel and less tourists can make this an attractive alternative especially as it is very close to District 3.
One * – Nhat Van Hotel
Popular with expats and wealthy locals, District 2 offers a more relaxed location on the Saigon River.
Home to plenty of excellent cafes, restaurants and boutique shops and just 20 minutes from District 1.
Five ***** – Mia Saigon Luxury Boutique Hotel
Offering a more authentic Vietnamese feel than District 1 but still home to plenty of Western restaurants and bars alongside Vietnamese coffee shops and pho restaurants.
Just 10 minutes from District 1 with plenty of hotel options, this is a great choice.
One * – Minh Chau Hotel Dien Nien Phu
Oriental architecture, street markets and Buddhist temples plus the largest market in Vietnam, Binh Tay.
Excellent budget accommodation and bargains galore in the markets make this another excellent choice away from the main tourist areas but just 15 minutes from District 1
Three *** – Golda Hotel
One * – Truong Giang Hotel
Modern buildings, yet plenty of open spaces, popular with families.
20 minutes south of District 1 the area can feel a little out of the way if you are looking for the hustle and bustle of central HCM.
There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the area though and you get more for your money here than closer to the centre.
Two ** – La Cigale Residence
Ho Chi Minh City
HCM is divided into a number of districts with distinct themes and benefits. It may be worth picking your desired district first and then select accommodation from there.
We have picked some our favourite hotels throughout HCM.
Subscribe to My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Advertising and affiliate links help to support this site. We never tailor content to encourage sales with a particular company. We only partner with organisations who we believe provide a good service or product. Thank you.
- 35 Die in Central Vietnam After Typhoon MolaveAt least 35 people have died and 59 are missing as Typhoon Molave hit Central Vietnam on Wednesday (28thContinue reading “35 Die in Central Vietnam After Typhoon Molave”
- Andaman SeaMy favourite pictures #9 I have always loved water. My fearless antics around swimming pools as a 2 yearContinue reading “Andaman Sea”
- Typhoon Molave Batters Central VietnamTyphoon Molave, believed to be the most powerful storm to hit Vietnam in the last 20 years, made landfallContinue reading “Typhoon Molave Batters Central Vietnam”
- SongthaewMy favourite pictures #8 I have ridden in many a Songthaew over the years. We have hailed them fromContinue reading “Songthaew”
- Threat to Komodo Dragon by “Jurassic Park”Protests against an Indonesian government backed scheme to promote tourism on Rinca Island, dubbed “Jurassic Park” have intensified followingContinue reading “Threat to Komodo Dragon by “Jurassic Park””
- Street FoodMy favourite pictures #7 I love street food. This picture sums up everything that is good about street foodContinue reading “Street Food”